VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR
Level: Primary, Junior
Grades: K-5 | Age: 5-11 | Written by:
[Vivian is an Art Educator from District 41, McCook, NE.]
Students will read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. They will then create caterpillar pictures using tissue paper collage techniques.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- tissue paper - all colors
- thinned white glue
- This lesson is a literature/art lesson.
- Introduce the art of Eric Carle to the students by reading them one of his books, asking them to pay close attention to his illustrations.
- Introduce the vocabulary word illustration and tell them that illustrations are created by artists.
- Ask them how they think Eric Carle makes his pictures?
- Introduce the word collage and tell them how Eric Carle uses collage techniques to illustrate his art.
- Next, demonstrate how to create a tissue collage.
- Cut ovals from tissue paper and paint glue on the paper to paste the tissue down.
- Then paint over the top of the tissue to glue it down well.
- While demonstrating, talk about overlapping, what colors mix nicely together.
- Make a caterpillar and leave it unfinished because by then the kids have the idea and can't wait to get started.
- Let the students try and walk around the room encouraging them.
About Eric Carle:
Eric Carle is acclaimed and beloved as the creator of brilliantly illustrated and innovatively designed picture books for very young children. Find out more by visiting the links below.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Official Eric Carle Website
With its lovely, humorous illustrations and wonderful narrative about a hungry caterpillar growing up to be a beautiful butterfly, Eric Carle's story touches anyone who still has some growing to do.
The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art
Eric Carle - Picture Writer
In this video, the beloved artist-storyteller invites you and your children into his very own studio where he reads from: The Very Busy Spider, The Very Quiet Cricket, Draw Me A Star and shows how step by step he prepares his colorful tissue papers and creates brilliant collage pictures.
This content has been printed from: