Level: Middle School
Grades: 6-8 | Age: 11-14 | Written by:
[Angela is an artist from University of the Philippines.]
Create fossils using plaster and found objects.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- 1 part Plaster of Paris
- 1 part water
- shoe box
- found objects: leaves, twigs buttons
- Prepare the materials before starting the activity. Students must wear protective gloves when mixing the mixture.
- For the mixture, mix 1 part of plaster of paris and 1 part water. The mixture must be smooth and thick (not watery)
- Dip found objects into the oil and place gently on the mixture.
- Do not press hard or it will sink, making it hard to remove when the plaster gets stiff.
- Leave the mixture for hours. One entire day under the heat of the sun makes it strong and durable.
- When the mixture is dry, remove the objects.
- You will see the marks of the objects or " fossil".
- Paint the fossil and display the finished work.
This content has been printed from: