Children can recycle cardboard paper rolls to create some make-believe binoculars for bird watching.
Students will learn how to spot birds with their own homemade binoculars.
What You Need:
- 2 paper rolls (about 4″ – 5″ long) per student
- single hole punch
- yarn or string
- Optional: Paint or paper and glue for decorating
What You Do:
- Give each student two paper rolls and have them glue them together on the sides. Let dry.
- Help students put a hole in each side of the binoculars.
- Tie the ribbon/yarn through the holes.
- Optional: decorate the binoculars with paint or glue and paper.
- Bring children outside to look for birds and have them look through their own creations.
- Talk about the birds from your area. Refer to books and see if you can spot different types of birds.