Students can use their own profiles to create art. This activity teaches students about light, shade and shadow.
What You Need:
- Flashlight (and a dark(ish) room)
- Construction paper (white & black)
- Poster board
- Masking tape
- A friend to trace your silhouette
What You Do:
- Tape a piece of white construction paper to the wall in a dark room.
- Place the flashlight on a table. Shine the light at the white construction paper.
- Sit between the light and the paper so that your profile appears on the paper.
- Have a partner trace around your silhouette onto the paper.
- Remove the paper from the wall and make sure your lines are smooth.
- Next, cut the silhouette out of the paper, place onto black construction paper, trace around it and cut it out.
- Glue the black silhouette onto white poster board. Add your name and date to the work.
Optional: You may wish to add more than one silhouette to the poster board (as shown in example above).