Tissue Paper Painting on Canvas Lesson Plan: Sculpture for Kids - KinderArt
Search by Month
Sign up for the KinderArt newsletter. Be the first to find out what's new.
Tissue Paper Painting Sculpture
Written by: Andrea Mulder-Slater
[Andrea is one of the creators of KinderArt®]
Students will create sculptural images using tissue paper as paint.
What You Need:
- Tissue paper in various colors
- Pre-primed canvas board (8" x 10") or cardboard
- White glue
- Old paintbrushes (various sizes)
- Optional: scissors
What You Do:
- Gather up a few piles of tissue paper (various colors) and start to tear them into small, medium and large pieces.
- Decide on an image. We chose flowers in a vase.
- Optional: Draw a light outline of the image onto the pre-primed canvas board.
- Pour some white glue into an empty yogurt container. If it is really thick, add a touch of water to thin it out a little bit.
- Start filling in the image on the canvas board with the tissue paper pieces. First, brush a little glue onto the board (work at one small area at a time) and then add the tissue paper. Then, brush a light coating of glue over top of the tissue paper to secure it.
- Continue this process until you have a completed tissue paper painting sculpture!
Tina Ferguson has submitted this tip: "I have found a wonderful 'glue' that seems to work better than white glue. It is liquid laundry starch and comes in a jug/bottle and can be found along with the spray starch on the laundry aisle of the grocery/discount store. It's wonderfully messy and sticky and cleans up more easily than white glue and can be washed right out of clothes and off hands. Try it. You might love it.
►More Sculpture Lessons
Paper Fun!: Projects to Fold, Bend, Cut, And Curl! (American Girl Library)
by Patricia Doherty
Inside this book, girls will discover dozens of ways to play with paper. Tons of tips, cool crafting supplies, and easy, step-by-step instructions will give girls the inspiration they need to brighten their room or create treasured gifts, from delicate rice paper lamps to quilled paper earrings. Package includes: quilling strips; a metal quilling tool; sheets of metallic paper, vellum, silver foil, and card stock; stencils; flower brads; and a measuring tape.
© Andrea Mulder-Slater, KinderArt®
Do YOU have a lesson to share?
© KinderArt ® | www.KinderArt.com