TP Roll Reindeer
Grade: 2 & up
Written by: Andrea Mulder-Slater
Designed by: Jantje Blokhuis-Mulder
[Andrea and Jantje are the creators of KinderArt®]
These adorable reindeer sculptures will engage and entertain your students. Using a variety of materials, children can create one-of-a-kind reindeer that stand on their own four feet! We did this craft with Grade 3 students but it can easily be adapted for other grades. (Even adults will enjoy it!)
What You Need:
- Toilet paper rolls
- Yarn or Wool (various colours)
- Cotton balls
- Egg cartons
- Chenille stems (pipe cleaners)
- Small red pom poms (or construction paper)
- Googly eyes (or small buttons)
- Flat foam circles (cut in half)
- Magic markers (optional)
- Hot Glue (optional)
What You Do:
Prior to the Class:
During the Class:
- Cut egg cartons apart so each child will have one egg holder.
- Cut the chenille stems into 1" lengths.
- Cut the flat foam circles into half circles.
Each student should...
- Each student receives glue, scissors, a toilet paper roll, a length of yarn, a few cotton balls, two googly eyes, two 1" pieces of chenille stem, one red pom pom, four craft sticks and two foam half circles.
- Wrap the toilet paper roll with yarn. Glue one end of the yarn down at the top of the roll, wrap the entire roll with yarn and glue the other end when they are finished. (Teacher/parent may need to hot glue the ends).
- Glue the egg cup onto one end of the wrapped roll. This will become the reindeer's head.
- Take some cotton and glue it onto the egg cup, covering it entirely.
- Use the half circles as ears and chenille stems as antlers. Glue these onto the head.
- Glue the red pom pom on the face to create a nose and glue the googly eyes onto the face as well.
- Glue some cotton to the other end of the roll.
- Color each of the four craft sticks using magic markers (or, leave them natural).
- Glue each of the four craft sticks to the bottom of the tp roll, to create legs. (Teacher/parent may need to hot glue the sticks).
Find More Christmas Book Recommendations in the KinderArt Store.
© Andrea Mulder-Slater & KinderArt®
Do YOU have a lesson to share?
© KinderArt ® | www.KinderArt.com