TP Roll Snowman
Grade: K & up
Written by: Andrea Mulder-Slater
Designed by: Jantje Blokhuis-Mulder
[Andrea and Jantje are the creators of KinderArt®]
These soft snowman sculptures are cute, cheerful and tactile. Using a variety of materials including cotton, ribbon and chenille stems, children can create one-of-a-kind snow people. We did this craft with Grade 1 students but it can easily be adapted for other grades. (Even adults will enjoy it!)
What You Need:
- Toilet paper rolls
- Foam balls (about 2" in diameter)
- Cotton balls
- Chenille stems (pipe cleaners)
- Googly eyes (or small buttons)
- Small foam pieces (or construction paper)
- Christmas ribbon
What You Do:
Prior to the Class:
During the Class:
- Cut the chenille stems into 1-1/2" to 2" lengths (2 per student).
- Cut chenille stems into 1/4" lengths (1 per student).
- If you don't have small foam pieces, cut construction paper into small circles, squares and/or triangles (for buttons).
- Cut red felt (or construction paper) into small moon shapes (for mouths).
Each student should...
- Each student receives glue, scissors, a toilet paper roll, a few cotton balls, two googly eyes, two 2" pieces of chenille stem, one 1/4" pieces of chenille stem, one red felt half moon (for a mouth), several small foam or construction paper shapes, a small length of Christmas ribbon and one foam ball.
- Take the cotton balls and pull them apart so they become thin layers of cotton.
- Glue the layers of cotton all over the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the foam ball to one end of the roll. This will be the snowman's head.
- Glue eyes,
an orange piece of chenille stem and the red half moon shape to the foam ball to create the snowman's face.
- Glue two pieces of chenille stem on either side of the snowman - to create "arms".
- Glue foam shapes on the front of the snowman to create buttons.
- Glue the ribbon around the snowman's neck, as a scarf.
Find More Christmas Book Recommendations in the KinderArt Store.
© Andrea Mulder-Slater & KinderArt®
Do YOU have a lesson to share?
© KinderArt ® | www.KinderArt.com