A great gift idea that makes use of recycled materials found around the home.
By Andrea Mulder-Slater
What You Need:
- Lids from margarine or yogurt containers
- Old greeting cards, postcards, fabric, wrapping paper or magazines
- Water-based sealer (optional)
What You Do:
- Place a lid over top of a greeting card, magazine page or piece of fabric and trace around the lid with a pencil.
- Cut out the shape you just traced and glue it to the lid. Repeat on as many lids as you like.
- Another option is to cut out many tiny pieces of greeting cards, fabric or magazine pages and glue them onto the lid the way you would if you were making a collage.
- Finally, once the glue has dried, you have to seal the coasters with a water-based sealer (or glue) to protect them from moisture.
Here’s another variation on the theme in a craft I created for Little Passports. In this case, I used old maps and photos from travel magazines.