Students will make their own paper using recycled materials.
- Students will understand how homemade paper is made.
- Students will create paper using recycled materials.
- Students will learn to appreciate the work and steps involved in making your own paper.
- Teacher can begin introducing children to the various methods of papermaking throughout the ages.
What You Need:
- egg cartons (paper)
- any odd wool, sparkles, etc. to add to paper
- food coloring (optional)
What You Do:
- Encourage children to tear up egg cartons.
- Put the pieces in pot with detergent, cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Put in food processor, until smooth consistency.
- Add water to mixture before and after cooking.
- You can add a touch of food coloring or other items to enhance your paper (string, confetti dots, etc.)
- Strain through screen until desired thickness–flip over onto newspaper, put more newspaper and towels on top.
- Cover with heavy books, etc for 24 hours. Peel off paper and let dry for 24 more hours–can also make bowls and other fun stuff–put flat paper works the best. You can also use old newspaper and other scrap paper.
- Have fun!