Learn how to make a snowman using toilet paper rolls, cotton and found objects.
By Andrea Mulder-Slater
What You Need:
- Toilet paper rolls
- Foam balls (about 2″ in diameter)
- Cotton balls
- Chenille stems (pipe cleaners)
- Googly eyes (or small buttons)
- Small foam pieces (or construction paper)
- Christmas ribbon
What You Do:
Prior to the Class:
- Cut the chenille stems into 1-1/2″ to 2″ lengths (2 per student).
- Cut chenille stems into 1/4″ lengths (1 per student).
- If you don’t have small foam pieces, cut construction paper into small circles, squares and/or triangles (for buttons).
- Cut red felt (or construction paper) into small moon shapes (for mouths).
During the Class:
- Each student receives glue, scissors, a toilet paper roll, a few cotton balls, two googly eyes, two 2″ pieces of chenille stem, one 1/4″ pieces of chenille stem, one red felt half moon (for a mouth), several small foam or construction paper shapes, a small length of Christmas ribbon and one foam ball.
Each student should…
- Take the cotton balls and pull them apart so they become thin layers of cotton.
- Glue the layers of cotton all over the toilet paper roll.
- Glue the foam ball to one end of the roll. This will be the snowman’s head.
- Glue eyes, an orange piece of chenille stem and the red half moon shape to the foam ball to create the snowman’s face.
- Glue two pieces of chenille stem on either side of the snowman – to create “arms”.
- Glue foam shapes on the front of the snowman to create buttons.
- Glue the ribbon around the snowman’s neck, as a scarf.