Learn how to make pinatas using a balloon and paper mache.
By Wendy Payne
What You Need:
- round balloons
- old newspapers
- tempera paints
What You Do:
This project takes about 5 days to complete but doing a little each day makes it fun.
- Blow up the balloon not too tight.
- Make a flour and water paste.
- Cut the newspapers into strips.
- Dip the newspaper strips into the flour/water paste and apply to the balloon.
- Let dry over night.
- Repeat this process for 4 more days.
- On the 5th day let completely dry and begin to paint.
- Small children can finger paint and older children can paint with a brush.
- After it is completely dried, cut a small hole in the top to add the candy.
- Add candy.
- Poke holes on opposite sides to put the string through.
- Tie onto a pole.
- Enjoy like a regular pinata.
Optional: Instead of paint, you can decorate the pinata with tissue paper, as in the photo above.