Students will experiment with different materials to see which ones are the best for making pretent snow!
What You Need:
- Water & Containers
- Epsom Salt
- Lite Salt
- Black Construction Paper
- Glossy White Paper
- White Construction Paper
What You Do:
- Make mixtures with 4 substances and water ( alum, Epsom salt, lite salt and sugar.)
- Have the kids fold 3 types of paper in 4ths (black construction paper, glossy white paper and white construction paper.)
- Ask the question: “Which mixture will make the best snow crystal picture?”
- Children will make predictions and then draw snow pictures using q-tips dipped in the solutions. The tricky part is keeping them from dipping it in several solutions.
- Children should label their 4 sections on their papers with 1, 2, 3 and 4, one for each mixture.
- Let the pictures dry and later make comparisons and vote on which made the best crystals.
- Use mag lenses to look closely at the crystals and look at geodes, too.
- Talk about how snow is made up of crystals.