Turn canceled postage stamps and a jar into a decorative container.
What You Need:
- Small wooden or cardboard box with lid OR a baby food (or other small) jar
- Canceled postage stamps (make sure no on is saving them!)
- Glue (or Mod Podge)
- Paint brushes (older ones for spreading glue)
- Liquid Tempera or acrylic paint (optional)
- Paint brushes for paint (optional)
What You Do:
- Glue a few handfuls of canceled stamps all over the jar or box (don’t forget the lid).
- Apply the glue with an old paintbrush, making sure to brush a layer on top of the stamps to prevent them from peeling away.
- If you wish – paint the remaining area of the box or jar with whichever colours of paint you choose.
- Finally, when your work is dry, add a light coating of glue or Mod Podge to seal the stamps.
Did You Know
Philately [fila-telly] is a really fun word which is used to describe the hobby of stamp collecting. If you are a stamp collector, you don’t have to worry about gaining weight from your hobby. The United States Postal Service tells us that because there is no more than one-tenth of a calorie’s worth of glue on every stamp, you will not put on the pounds as a result of licking and sticking them.