Students will create portraits of themselves after reading the book “I Like Me” by Nancy Carlson.
What You Need:
- Paint, crayons
- Material (fabric)
- Circle shapes 9inches in diameter
- Music Getting to Know You (King & I) click here for the cd
- 4 x 6 sheet of paper with students’ names written in vertical form.
What You Do:
- Read a wonderful story to them, like I Like Me, discuss self-esteem, likenesses, differences; what makes us special, what we like to do etc…
- Have children create a portrait of themselves looking into mirrors for fine details, play music while they are creating their images; when completed, collect and save for Back to School Night to use with parents. Parents will take their child’s image and using only the letters of their child’s name write words that describe their child:
- An example: Brandon;(vertical form)
R eady to learn
A nxious at times
O nly child
N ice boy
This activity can be used as an ice breaker to get to know your students and parents.