Crayon resist is a technique that usually combines crayons and dark paint or ink. Snow scenes can be created using white tempera instead of black.
By Andrea Mulder-Slater
What You Need:
- Paper (this works very well on darker colored paper – ie: blue)
- White tempera paint (watered down)
- Water containers
- A covered work area
What You Do:
- Draw a winter scene on the paper.
- Color the scene in using crayons.
- Make sure the crayon is applied heavily so it will repel the paint.
- Leave a few areas free of crayon so that the paint has something the “grab onto”.
- Apply a thin coat of white tempera paint over the crayon.
- The result will look like a snowy day.