A great way to use up those scraps of fabric, yarn and other found objects is to make a fabric assemblage or collage.
What You Need:
- A piece of masonite (about 12″ x 12″) or heavy cardboard
- Burlap scraps (all different colors)
- Raw canvas scraps
- Other fabric scraps
- Other found objects
What You Do:
- First decide on what kind of an image you would like to make… is it going to be a landscape? an animal? an outer space picture or maybe just an abstract design. (this would be a good time to try a few drawings out on paper) Remember to keep it simple.
- When you know what you are going to be creating, take your masonite (or cardboard) and start laying down some outlines with pencil… or simply start laying down the actual fabric pieces.
- Once the design has been laid out and all of your pieces of fabric cut, begin gluing everything down nice and firmly.
- You can use rope or jute or yarn for special effects, like a tree trunk or the outline of a fish. Use your imagination.
- Once everything is glued, let dry and glue a picture hanger to the back.
- Voila… a fabric assemblage from scraps.