Learn how to make gargoyle masks using paper.
What You Need:
Go to the hardware store and pick up wallpaper paste, and/or ART glue.
Next, go to the insulation department and find Greenstone brand insulation (there are no additives – it’s just ground newspaper) OR – you can use a product called ClayCrete (see link below).
You will also need sand, a container for mixing and a paper mache form (can even be a small cardboard box).
What You Do:
- In a large tub, add dry insulation and half a cup of sand for texture. Blend a little.
- Now add the wet wall paper paste (mix according to box instructions) to the dry ingredients.
- Begin blending until it is a clay-like consistency.
- Lay over a dry, pre-glue moistened paper mache form in layers.
- The thicker the layer, the longer it will take to dry so keep the “stone” layer to about 1/2″.
- You can sculpt noses and eyes etc., but make sure to bond well to 1/2″ layer (treat it just like real clay and score with glue to attach)
- Allow to dry in well ventilated place.
- It takes a mask about a week to two weeks to become hard as stone and fire resistant.
Mask created by Helen (xothique.deviantart.com)