Students will make hamburger collages using colored construction paper
- Review shapes and learn about shapes.
- Improve their cutting skills by cutting shapes.
- Learn about collage by creating a cut paper hamburger.
What You Need:
- 9×12 black construction paper
- crayons or markers
- construction paper – various colors (brown, green, red, white, orange, yellow etc.)
What You Do:
- Have some sample cut outs ready for your demonstration (ie: hamburger bun, tomato slices, blobs for ketchup and mustard, pickles, lettuce, swirls for onions, etc.) See image above for ideas.
- Show students how they can “build” a hamburger using construction paper.
- Demonstrate by gluing the various pieces down on a dark colored construction paper (we used black). Start with the bottom bun, add some ketchup, mustard and mayo. Layer the beef patty, a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato slices, pickles, onions, etc. Finish off with the top bun.
- Crayon or marker can be used to add enhancements to the paper (grill marks on the patty, texture on the tomatoes, etc.)
- After the demonstration, allow the students to create their own hamburgers (or hot dogs, or submarine sandwiches).