Crayon Resist Jack-O-Lanterns
Create spooky wax-resist pumpkin pictures using crayons and paint.
By Andrea Mulder-Slater
What You Need:
- wax crayons
- black watercolour paint
- white paper (watercolor paper is ideal but any thick white paper will work)
What You Do:
- Draw a Halloween themed picture (like a Jack-o-Lantern, ghost or gravestone), using crayons.
- Be sure to press hard and remember, light colours will work the best.
- Once the drawing is complete, take some black watercolour paint and water it down slightly, so it is nice and runny.
- Lightly brush black paint over the picture. Be careful not to overdo it, because a little paint is all you need.
- Don’t worry about trying to stay in the lines, because the crayon picture will resist the paint and “pop” out through the black, for an positively eerie effect.
- Once finished, let the paint dry and display the work for all to see.
Did You Know:
There is a poisonous mushroom called a Jack-o-Lantern! It is most often found growing in crowded clumps at the base of hardwood trees and it is bioluminescent. What does that mean? Well, quite simply, these mushrooms, which are bright yellowish orange in colour, actually glow in the dark!