This Jack-O-Lantern is easy for your kids to create (with a little help from you) and it is safe for your kids to carry around (no fire hazards).
What You Need:
- A milk jug (a nice big gallon jug) with a lid.
- Pencil, pen or marker.
- Orange acrylic paint (or orange tempera paint with white glue mixed in).
- Paint brushes or sponges.
- Black paint or a large black magic marker.
- Small flashlight.
- Tacky glue or a hot glue gun with adult supervision.
- Scissors or an x-acto knife – with adult supervision.
What You Do:
First decide what kind of face your Jack-o-Lantern will have. Then, draw the features onto the milk jug.
Carefully cut out the eyes, nose and mouth shapes you have drawn on.
Your kids can then paint the entire jug with orange acrylic paint. They may have to paint the jug a couple of times to get a nice thick finish.
Let the paint dry.
Once the paint has dried, your kids can draw details onto the jug using the black marker.
Finally, you can glue a small flashlight to the inside of the jug lid. That way you can flick the flashlight on, place the lid on the jug and have a glowing Jack-O-Lantern that is safe as safe can be.