Patriotic Candle Jars
This patriotic candle jar that doubles as a vase is easy for kids to make.
By Amanda Formaro
What You Need:
- empty glass jar
- material with a patriotic pattern
- white craft glue
- thick bristled paint brush
- goldenrod ribbon
- wooden star
- navy blue acrylic paint
- hot glue gun
What You Do:
- Paint the wooden star with navy blue acrylic paint.
- Set aside to dry.
- Tie 2 or 3 strands of raffia into a bow.
- Use the scissors to cut the bows so that all of the ends are straight, trim to even lengths.
- Hot glue the blue star to the center of the raffia.
- Set aside.
- If your patriotic material has flags, cut out a few of the flags and cut the rest of the material into pieces. Size and shape does not matter!
- Mix white craft glue with enough water to make a thin, paintable solution that is not see through, mixture should be white.
- With your paintbrush, paint the glue mixture onto the jar. Work in sections as the glue will dry before you get to it if you paint the whole thing.
- Paint a section with glue mixture, place pieces of material onto the layer of glue, cover material with more glue mixture. Material will be wet, but not dripping.
- Continue until the entire jar is covered, pieces are placed on quite randomly.
- When finished, use the mixture to put the flags over the top of the material scraps.
- Use hot glue to adhere a piece of goldenrod ribbon around the rim of the jar.
- Hot glue the raffia/star to the ribbon, covering the seam.
- You can place a votive candle in the jar, or fill it with white carnations for a great centerpiece!