A book review of The Art of Teaching Art by Nancy Beal with Gloria Bley Miller.
The Art of Teaching Art to Children in School and at Home
by Nancy Beal with Gloria Bley Miller
- Well organized.
- Includes helpful suggestions on how to speak to children about their artwork.
- Features ideas on how to set up an art space in the home or school classroom.
- Lists practical tips for using various materials.
- Book is organized into easy to digest sections: The Basic Approach; A Note to Parents; Collage; Drawing; Painting; Clay; Printmaking; Construction; Social Studies and Conclusion.
- Teachers and parents can also search an index of activities by age group, rather than media.
- Author has been teaching art to children for twenty-five years and as such, provides tried and true ideas for teachers and parents.
A wonderful addition to any library, The Art of Teaching Art to Children focuses on process, not product. Author Nancy Beal shares ideas, insights, and tips with parents and teachers, including how to talk with children about their art, how to set up an art area in the home or school and how to introduce various materials to children. Those looking for recipe-style lesson plans will not find them here. However, what you will find is a lively book, written in a conversational style, filled to the brim with real, adaptable ideas from someone who has been there.
A lovely book.