We’ve gathered and listed all of our Primary Grade Elementary art lesson plans in one place.
Primary grade children are beginning to understand that art is a way to communicate. They consciously create symbols and their pictures feature bold, direct and flat images. There is little detail shown to realistic, spatial concepts. They are eager to share their art with others.
Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 Emphasis:
- Establish self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Improve hand-eye coordination.
- Expand aesthetic awareness.
- Begin the study of art heritage.
- Begin to identify some of the elements of art (line, shape, color, texture, pattern).
- Develop art-related skills.
- Discuss design ideas and techniques.
- Use a variety of materials to create art (tempera, finger paint, watercolor, collage, clay).
- Use personal experiences as subject matter in artwork.
- Communicate feelings about art.