More Learning Levels
Teaching Art to Grade 3, 4 & 5 (8-11yrs)
Junior grade children (Grades 3-5; ages 8-11yrs) are beginning to search for specific methods for representing subjects and they seek to improve their technical skills.
They sometimes draw things as they remember, rather than how they see.
They are usually able to remain focused on the creation of art without interruption for ten to twenty minutes and they are still willing to share their work with others.
Grade 3, 4, 5: Emphasis:
- Establish self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Refine motor skills and sharpen intuitive abilities.
- Expand aesthetic awareness and develop aesthetic judgement.
- Increase exposure to the study of art history (political and cultural conditions).
- Further identify the elements of art (line, shape, color, texture, pattern, space).
- Discuss design ideas and techniques and identify aspects that contribute to the effectiveness of a work of art.
- Communicate responses to art.
- Formulate an understanding of and criteria for making judgements through involvement in viewing, discussing and analyzing works of art.
- Develop experimental art-related skills.
- Use a variety of materials to create art.
- Use personal and cultural experiences as subject matter in art work.
- Focus on creative art expression, images, symbols, and personal experience.
- Identify art materials and media that are used to convey messages in commercial art.
- Describe the benefits of gaining skill in the arts.
Favourite Art Lessons for Grades 3-5
Adjective, Adjective Noun
Advanced Scribble Pictures
Building a Klimt
Complementary Color Portraits
Crayon Resist Fish
Daydreaming with Marc Chagall
Drawing Bugs in Jars
Drawing Fish with Glue
Fall Leaf Watercolors
Fall Reflections Monoprints
Fruit and Vegetable Portraits (Giuseppe Arcimboldo)
Glue and Pastel Totem Pole Pictures
Gustav Klimt’s Tree of Life
Happy Accident Painting
Henri Rousseau’s Fantasy Jungle
I Give You My Heart
Inside Outside Drawings of Fruit
It’s a Bug’s Life
Khamsa Hand Prints
Line Painting Flowers
Make Art Like Henri Matisse
Mixed Media Still Life Painting
Monet’s Garden by the Sea
New Zealand Maori Koru Art
Oh My Gosh It’s a Bosch
Organic and Geometric Shape Drawings
Organic Shape and Line Collage
Op Art Shaded Shapes
Paper Batik Flower Paintings
Paper Crazy Quilts
Pattern Drawing and Painting
Pop Art Portraits
Portrait Painting in the style of Georges Rouault
Proportion of the Human Form
Salt and Watercolor Trees
Spider Web Pattern Drawing
Under the Sea Crayon Resist
Van Gogh’s Sunflowers
Warm and Cool Flowers
Weaving a Watercolor
Wet Chalk Drawings